Paul Walker Ocean Leadership Award: Nomination Form
2017 Paul Walker Youth Leadership Award Nomination Form
Deadline to apply:
Monday, December 19, 2016 – 5 p.m. Pacific time
Saturday, June 3, 2017 – Monterey Bay Aquarium
Review the guidelines below, complete your application and submit by email (as a Word document or PDF) to: TeenPrograms@mbayaq.org
The Paul Walker Youth Award was created by the Monterey Bay Aquarium in collaboration with Paul Walker’s daughter, Meadow Walker, and the Paul Walker Foundation to honor the memory of the actor who used his celebrity to advance ocean causes and in support of philanthropic ventures.
The Youth Award recognizes a young person a young person, age 16 to 22, who is an ocean conservation champion. The Paul Walker Foundation provides a scholarship to each youth award winner to help them pursue marine science/environmental studies in college.
Each fall, the Aquarium solicits applications for the Youth Award. Final selection, by the Aquarium and the Paul Walker Foundation, is made in January or February of the award year. The recipient will receive their award – in person – in ceremonies at the Monterey Bay Aquarium on World Ocean Day (June of the award year).
Applications for consideration for the 2017 award must be received by 5 p.m. on MONDAY, DECEMBER 19. Self-nominations are acceptable; nominations may also be submitted by teachers and ocean conservation program leaders who are familiar with the work of the nominees. Each application must include:
- Introduction and background about the nominee:
- Contact information:
- School/grade level/age:
- Describe the academic and community activities demonstrating the nominee’s qualities as an ocean conservation champion; and the impact their ocean conservation work is having, in their community or among their peers. (up to 500 words; can also include photos/video link)
- Short essay from the nominee (maximum 300 words) explaining how selection for the award will help them advance their academic and ocean conservation goals.
- Letter(s) of recommendation from a teacher and from at least one (1) leader in an ocean conservation project in which they’re involved.
- A statement confirming that the applicant will be available to accept the award in person at the Monterey Bay Aquarium on Saturday, June 3, 2017. (Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Paul Walker Foundation provide lodging and travel so recipient and parent/guardian can participate in the award ceremony.)
- Submit completed application by email (as a Word document or PDF) to: TeenPrograms@mbayaq.org